Thursday, April 3, 2014

Problems running current version of Android SDK (22.6) on Mac OS 10.6.8

More evidence that my trusty 2006 Mac Pro, while still very capable, is becoming obsolete, seemingly thanks to Apple's rigid upgrade/obsolescence policies.

I was taking an online Android course through O'Reilly School of Technology, and have been doing all of my Android development there for the last several months.  My course ended, and I was anxious to use what I learned for other projects and to give Android Studio a try.  (O'Reilly's Android 1 course used Eclipse.)  Much to my dismay, it appears that Android SDK 22.6 doesn't play well with Mac OS 10.6.8.  I think the first problem I ran into was when I dusted off my local Eclipse and updated to the current version of the SDK.  That didn't work.  I had to manually upgrade it.  I finally got it installed, downloaded my O'Reilly projects and was going to ensure they ran locally.  The emulator never started up[1].  After many tweaks and restarts, installing the Android ADT bundle, etc., I gave up and tried Genymotion.  That didn't work either.  :-)  It seems ominous that a show-stopper such as this has existed as a reported bug[2] for three weeks.

I followed the instructions[3] from Stackoverflow to sneakily download an older version of the Android SDK tools (22.3), and then copy its /tools directory over the /tools directory in the ADT SDK bundle, i.e., ~/Downloads/adt-bundle-mac-x86_64-20140321/sdk/tools .

The good news for me is that I have a couple old Android devices I can use to run my apps on instead of using an emulator, but it's still frustrating to be unable to use the entire set of the current version of the development tools.

Reference


  1. https://stackoverflow.com/questions/22709471/bus-error-when-running-android-emulator - The question in Stackoverflow that describes the problem I was having with the Android emulator
  2. https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=67036 - The relevant issue in Google Code for the Android Open Source Project
  3. https://stackoverflow.com/questions/9555337/how-to-downgrade-my-sdk-version#comment19794463_11514698 - The comment in Stackoverflow that allowed me to download an older version of the SDK tools.

No comments: